Calochortus kennedyii

Started by Jim Barton, May 16, 2023, 07:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Barton

Four of my six my Calochortus kennedyii opened yesterday. 
Some observations on growing them. We had 22 plus inches of rain this season, and they did quite well, growing on a slight slope in fast draining soil, this is a lot of rain for our area. They may be able to take more water than we think if it drains away rapidly. I grow them in terracotta pots set in the ground filled with 1/2 native sandy loam and 1/2 sand, set outside. The pots keep the soil mix contained, keep the bulbs from moving about, I know where they are and are gopher resistant. I know this is a limited sample, but all four plants opened on the same day, while my other Calochortus spread out there blooming over several weeks.
Jim Barton

Diane Whitehead

How exciting!  Did you grow them from seed, and if so, how long did it take?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Jim Barton

I received them as 2 year old bulbs from Telos about 5 years ago.
Jim 

janemcgary

Diane asked how long from seed to flowering. In my experience with three seed collections (still have two), it takes about six years. This is slower than many Calochortus species.

Jan Jeddeloh

Hand pollinate and send to the SX?  Pretty please.  You've just ratcheted up demand with this lovely picture.  Those are stunning.