Spotted Lantern Fly

Started by Arnold, May 26, 2023, 04:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

We have a new pest in town.  An introduced one form China purportedly  via a load of stones from China.

This one attacks most plants we grow.  Favorite is the weedy Tree of Heaven, Ailanthus altissima

Images attached of the egg cases, first instar pest and newly developed trap that uses a pheromone lure to attract them into a container for disposal. I've seen them on Peonies, Grapes, apples, Pears and  Quince.

Images of a trap recently developed using a pheromone lure based on Methyl salicylate, wintergreen.
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Scanning Google the moths look like they'd be a pretty photo. As to the photos above, I would have appreciated a close up of the grubs - maybe we should have the forum tuned better as regards auto scaling down - photos seem a bit small.

Seemingly UK Border Force are on the look out, but it is not likely to do well here.

Arnold

David

They were scaleld down photos.  I'll get one in the morning a bit larger.
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Arnold - so much worry went into having the forum auto-scale images - you can upload any size - has to be this way because most people have no idea about image sizes.

(Above I have come over all hyperbolic  for some reason)

Arnold

David

Couple of better photos with a macro lens. This is the first instar soon  after hatching .  The nymphs rushing up into the catch jar where a pheromone lure is placed.

They are highly reproductive in our environment.

Luckily only one generation per season
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Hi Arnold, thanks for the macro shots, well worthwhile, they seem distinctive. Spotted grubs as well as spotted moths.

Arnold

The last instar prior  to becoming the moth is brightly colored red and black.
Arnold T.
North East USA