January photos

Started by Arnold, January 07, 2022, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

A bulbous plant.  But not a monocot.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

nobody said we'd be limited to monocots, though for adding to the wiki we prefer to have root photos for those plants people wouldn't include at first instinct reation. By the way, if we're to keep the name on this subforum we really should add a price to win, Mr treasurer  ;)
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Arnold

Got it.  Othonna isn't on the Wiki.    We can give a credit on BX/SX payments if that would be possible.
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Work is under way to add Othonna to the wiki - independent of the photos on here.

Diane Whitehead

Nerine undulata is native to the Eastern Cape of South Africa, growing at the edge of woodlands, in rocky places, or in wet areas.

The seeds I bought from Silverhill arrived already germinated, but took six years to flower.  It is growing in my unheated frost-free greenhouse where it flowers in midwinter and has seeded itself into nearby pots.  Since I have more than a dozen bulbs, I intend to grow some in the garden.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Arnold

undulating flower petals I guess
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: Diane Whitehead on January 07, 2022, 02:48:54 PMSince I have more than a dozen bulbs, I intend to grow some in the garden.

now I really had to look up Victoria/ BC, since the instincts say Canada = Siberia with people speaking French and English - one look at the map and that made much more sense...cute Nerine, by the way. I feel the smaller species are totally underused, at least here in Europe - I have a N. massoniorum that flowered about 6 weeks.

Arnold

Cyclamen coum 'Yayladagi'
Arnold T.
North East USA

Uli

Hello All,
First of all: happy new year to all of you.
And thank you very much, Martin for all the work you have done.
I wanted to post this message but it got lost because I didn't realize that my login had expired in the meantime, how can I avoid this in future?
At least I found the time to get to grips with the forum. First step: I looked at the pictures and experimented. I can enlarge thumbnails which I find interesting but some (Gastils Lachenalia viridiflora and two others) remain thumbnails, why?
Why carry most pictures the name of the plant and others don't? I would like to know the names of plants unknown to me.
What will happen to the pictures after the forum moves on to another topic?
Next step will be to post pictures.

Bye for now
Uli
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

David Pilling

Uli - when you login there is a time, select "forever"

Pictures and topics remain as long as we pay the server fees.

Why do some thumbnails expand and some not - hard to say without knowing which photos. We have been playing with software extensions for the last nine months, some thumbnails will be orphans from those experiments.

Martin Bohnet

Some of gastil's pictures were quite small, the size is written below the filenames. The forum resizes bigger fotos to 1024 px on the longer side on upload, but won't blow up smaller ones.

Uli

Quote from: Mr David Pilling on January 11, 2022, 02:20:19 PMUli - when you login there is a time, select "forever"

Pictures and topics remain as long as we pay the server fees.

Why do some thumbnails expand and some not - hard to say without knowing which photos. We have been playing with software extensions for the last nine months, some thumbnails will be orphans from those experiments.

Thank you, David for this info

Uli
Algarve, Portugal
Mediterranean Climate

Uli

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply to my question concerning the failed attachment. The message and the  error picture is no longer there, where is it?
I have googled and tried hard to find out how to change the format of my Apple pictures into jpg but I did not get very far. I would need an App and it is a procedure with many steps. I do send a lot of pictures with my iPad, including to the email list, never had this problem. The forum software seems to be unable to digest Apple pictures?
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
Mediterranean Climate

David Pilling

Uli - rename. Bob.jpeg becomes Bob.jpg

jpeg, jpg, jpe are all exactly the same thing.

Gastil has another thread where she proves that the forum can't handle some proprietary Apple file formats - true.

But JPEG is a standard, only the extension is not unique,

I expect your attempt to send failed and the message and error are gone.

Diane Whitehead

Uli,

The Nerine photo I posted was taken with my iPad.  I mailed it to myself on my Mac laptop, then selected it to go on the forum.

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil