Attachment failure

Started by Uli, January 11, 2022, 02:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uli

Hello again,

As most of the pictures I will post to the forum are taken with my iPad and iPhone, I need help on how to change the files into a permitted one
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

David Pilling

Hi Uli - rename .jpeg to .jpg - but we should allow the common variations jpeg, jpg, jpe

Uli

Another attempt with my iPhone. I could change the settings to maximum compatibility on my iPhone but not on my (older) iPad.
Found my message, it was a new post, sorry.
But quick reply has no attachment button, so no pictures attached.
The forum doesn't work well on the small screen of my iPhone.
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
Mediterranean Climate

David Pilling

Uli - I have told the forum to accept .jpeg and .jpe as well as .jpg-maybe it will work now.

David Pilling

test jpeg photo

David Pilling

That was a .jpeg I notice it got renamed as .jpg (which is fine, but there was no problem with attaching it and posting).

Martin Bohnet

strangely enough, that bag-pic didnt do the bigger version on click for me. until I reloaded the page?

4 letter JPEG also seems to work for me, the renaming is done by the resizing routine I guess. Uli, please mail me one of the failed photos.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Uli

Hello Martin and David,

Here is the failed photo (hopefully)
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
Mediterranean Climate

Uli

So it seemed to work. But why is it big and not a thumbnail? Or is it better this way?
How must I proceed to name the plant on the pictures?

I also discovered that the quick reply mode does not have an attachment button. Which trapped me because the quick reply window appears big and fat on the bottom of the page. But by using the small grey reply button the attachment button is there and works

Uli
Algarve, Portugal
Mediterranean Climate

Uli

Now I put the name into the picture before I attached it. But are there other ways to name a picture?

6C5920D1-0690-4EA0-B558-C911647D4E24.jpg
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
Mediterranean Climate

Martin Bohnet

Hi Uli,

the picture thumbnail is removed when you use the insert function like

[attach id=268]DSCF0966.jpg[/attach]

if you don't hit Insert, the attachment will be below the posting, as a thumb. We once had a (buggy) plugin that allowed to put thumbed views in the text body - as useful as it was, it generated errant behavior. "Full sized" in the text seems OK to me since we shrink the file size so much - it would be a disaster if we used the full size high res images people sent with the attach function on the forum these days.

but actually, when I asked you to send me the failing picture I meant via email and in the form the forum did not digest.

Martin Bohnet

Hmm, really no problem with this picture - anyway, thanks for sending it per mail. Question is now: at what point does that change occur from unpostable to postable - maybe saving it in a way to push it into email attachment already makes a change?. As I'm the no cell phone guy: Do you make a bunch of photos and then decide to post or is there a way to directly take the picture within the upload dialog?

Edit: hmm, that picture you sent me is far smaller than the original. That's one of the things I hate about modern software: it does too much without telling people. Now I'm 99% sure the email app changed the format to be OK outside the Apple world.