Growth cycles of bulbs

Started by PaulSiskind, June 27, 2023, 06:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulSiskind

I'm interested in finding a source(s) of info about the growth cycles of bulbs for variious species within Lilieae, particularly Lilium, Fritillaria, and Tulipa.  More specifically:  I know that in some species, the parent bulb completely depletes itself each year, and the plant grows a new bulb(s) for the next year; this happens in Lilium canadensis, and in many Tulips.  Conversely, in some species the bulb doesn't get fully depleted, and the plant regenerates the same bulb for the next year; this happens in Lilium martagon, and in many Fritillaria. 

I'm interested in tracing the phylogeny of this trait.  For example:  Do all Tulip species behave the same way?  Do all of the Martagon Lily species behave the same way, compared to the eastern NA Lily species?  Do all the western NA species of Fritillaria produce many bulblets (like F. affinis) every year, or do some build a bigger bulb and only divide under certain circumstances? 

Does anyone know of a good source(s) for an overview of this info?  I've been able to find this info for some individual species, but I'd like to find a general overview of it.

Thanks for the help.

illahe

Hi Paul, 

I can't really speak to the Tulips as I only grow a few of the species, but for your question on North American Fritillaria, I can recommend the book Bulbs of North America, published by the North American Rock Garden Society 2001. The chapter on Fritillaria discusses bulb offsetting of the American species. You may also find the chapter on Lilies useful. 

Mark 

janemcgary

Paul, a good general book is "Growing Bulbs" by Martyn Rix. it contains the basics of every kind of information on how bulbs are structured and grow in different parts of the world, as well as cultivation recommendations. It can often be found used -- try Amazon and Powell's. The first thing to know is the difference between a true bulb and a corm. Tulips (true bulbs) do not naturally act as you describe. Normally the main bulb persists, unless it has been planted too shallowly, in which case it may produce a "dropper" to get deeper into the soil. I have 10-year-old species tulips still flowering without having increased vegetatively; these probably reproduce in nature mainly by seed.

PaulSiskind

Quote from: illahe on June 29, 2023, 08:34:40 AMHi Paul,

I can't really speak to the Tulips as I only grow a few of the species, but for your question on North American Fritillaria, I can recommend the book Bulbs of North America, published by the North American Rock Garden Society 2001. The chapter on Fritillaria discusses bulb offsetting of the American species. You may also find the chapter on Lilies useful.

Mark
Thanks Mark.  I've ordered a copy of the book.

PaulSiskind

Quote from: janemcgary on June 29, 2023, 11:50:11 AMPaul, a good general book is "Growing Bulbs" by Martyn Rix. it contains the basics of every kind of information on how bulbs are structured and grow in different parts of the world, as well as cultivation recommendations. It can often be found used -- try Amazon and Powell's. The first thing to know is the difference between a true bulb and a corm. Tulips (true bulbs) do not naturally act as you describe. Normally the main bulb persists, unless it has been planted too shallowly, in which case it may produce a "dropper" to get deeper into the soil. I have 10-year-old species tulips still flowering without having increased vegetatively; these probably reproduce in nature mainly by seed.
Thanks Jane.  I found the book interesting and useful.

David Pilling

At some point I planted Fritillaria bulbs with a cane going through the hole in the middle, with the idea that if the bulb replaced itself, the next Spring I would find the cane on the outside of the new bulb - which proved to be the case.

I documented this experiment on the PBS wiki - see:

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/AsianFritillariaThree#persica