Sources for Scadoxus multiflorus for a new public garden

Started by NanSterman, July 13, 2023, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanSterman

Hi All

I recently designed the new garden for the restored Botanical Building in San Diego's Balboa Park (California).  This the Park's historic conservatory-style lath house flanked by lily ponds.  If you have ever seen a photo of Balboa Park, chances are it's a photo of the Botanical Buildling.

The new garden's theme is "Otherworldly." Fittingly, most plants are coming from specialty growers.  I am hoping someone in this group can suggest a few sources (growers, private collectors who sell bulbs, etc) of Scadoxus multiflorus (formerly Haemanthus multiflorus). 

I am most interested in sources located in California.

I appreciate your help!

Nan Sterman

CG100

I can't speak for the US, but flowering size S.m. are freely available at very modest cost in Europe via endless outlets. (Over here, I would not pay more than ~$5 per bulb, although many sellers expect a lot more.)
They are probably field-grown, and certainly from the S hemisphere as they grow well enough but take 2-3 years to sync' properly with N hemisphere seasons.
They are so cheap that I can't imagine that anyone would contemplate producing them within Europe on a commercial scale - they just could not compete.

David Pilling

You can try the PBS plant sources search engine:

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Sources

It seems to find US suppliers - plant delights and telos (California)