Veratrum formosanum

Started by ksayce, July 27, 2023, 03:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksayce

Grown from seed purchased years ago from Alplains Seeds. Would like to know how vulnerable Veratrums are to voles, slugs and snails. This year, a very pleasant surprise, a flowering stem emerged. I have one relatively moist garden spot that is usually shady, but need to resolve the slug question before I move it out of the mesh frame. 
South coast of Washington, zone 8, mild wet winters, cool dry summers, in sand

Diane Whitehead

Well, veratrums are extremely poisonous but perhaps not to invertebrates.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

janemcgary

I grew Veratrum californicum in a very slug-ridden area for many years and never noticed any damage on the foliage. I moved some to my present garden, where it shows no damage but does not flourish, probably because of the hot sun. Kathleen won't have this problem as she lives right on the coast.

David Pilling

Quote from: Diane Whitehead on July 28, 2023, 08:35:36 AMveratrums are extremely poisonous but perhaps not to invertebrates.

A theory proposed by Schep in 2013 suggests that Veratrum album was used to kill Alexander the Great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_album#Alexander_the_Great

ksayce

This all reads like I need to be vigilant with slug bait. Thank you for the comments. 
South coast of Washington, zone 8, mild wet winters, cool dry summers, in sand

Martin Bohnet

I grow Veratrum nigrum and the oh so well liked foliage is usually a complete holy mess by May due to the slugs - it doesn't keep it from flowering though.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)