SX 14 Trillium seed pop-up exchange

Started by Jan Jeddeloh, July 27, 2023, 06:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Jeddeloh

This seed exchange is first come, first served.  It closes July 30 at 5 pm Pacific Daylight Time.

This is a special pop-up mini seed exchange for trillium seeds and a couple of other species.  Unlike the regular seed exchanges this one will be first come, first served.  Orders will be numbered in the order they come in so don't dilly-dally.  All these seeds, except the Arisaema flavum, will need to be sown immediately.  DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DRY OUT. They will all be shipped moist in plastic bags.

As with other seed exchanges the top of your order must have your postal address with your email below (in case I have questions later).  If I have to chase you down for this information your order automatically goes to the bottom of the stack.  

Seeds will be $2 per packet with a minimum of 5 seeds per packet.  Order by the name in bold.  In most cases there will be at least 10 seeds but if there is high demand you may only get 5 seeds per packet.  Shipping will be $4 domestic, international shipping at cost. Send your orders to seedyjan1@gmail.com.

Donated by Charles Hunter

Here is some information from Charles regarding the hardiness of southern trillium:
"Hardiness is mostly related to late freezes for plants that are very early. Trillums do have antifreeze, but a few from north FL ( decipiens and north FL lancifolium) are so early that folks in northern states and Canada will find that they will emerge and bloom before hard freezes. Since they all grow fine outside for me in my 7b north Georgia garden, I do not have a reason to know how far north they can be grown outside. But Fred Case (author of the book " Trillums") stated in his book that decipiens and early underwoodii were not good outdoors in his Michigan garden due to repeated hard freezes after they emerge. Note that the Alabama piedmont underwoodii seeds I sent you are later to emerge and bloom and might do Ok in most northern gardens. The underwoodii found in north Florida and adjacent SW Georgia is VERY early, but I did not get seeds from those this year."
Trillium cuneatum
Trillium decipiens.  Very early, should be a pot plant in colder climates.
Trillium flexipes.  Southern form NE Alabama.  Heat tolerant.
Trillium foetidissimum. Native to eastern Louisiana and southwest Mississippi.
Trillium lancifolium.  Very early north Florida form.  Should be a pot plant in colder climates.
Trillium oostingii. South Carolina.  Mostly yellow-green flowers with a few dark purple. Rare form
Trillium pusillum
Trillium underwoodii. Later Alabama Piedmost form.  Better for colder climates.

I have fairly low quantities of these southeastern trilliums so early bird gets the worm. 

Donated by me, Jan Jeddeloh. 
Trillium albidum.  Hand pollinated. Pod parent is a particularly nice form.
Trillium kurabayashii
Trillium (kurabayashii x albidum) X albidum.  The pod parent is a mid-pink with nice wide petals. It is a cross I made some years ago.  I made this cross to try to get a pale pink.  I've planted a fair bit of the seed myself.  

I have fairly large quantities of these trilliums.  Let me know about how many seeds you would like but if you're really greedy, and I have the seed, I may charge you an extra $2 for a generous packet.  

Fellow shade travelers.
Amorphophallus kiusianus 
Arisaema flavum This is left over from SX13 but it's a nice shade plant that deserves some love.

Jan Jeddeloh

All the trillium seed went out Friday which means it should arrive in your mailboxes this week.  I have good news and bad news.  The good news is I had plenty of western trillium and enough of the eastern trillium that most people got what they wanted.  The bad news is I only had two packets of Trillium underwoodii and some seeds were in small supply so the seed packets only contain five seeds.  

As soon as you get the seed plant it immediately, and by immediately I mean that day or the next.  The seed is packed in little plastic envelopes with a bit of moist paper towel.  This means there isn't much air and the seed is likely to rot if kept in these packets very long.  If for some reason you can't sow it immediately remove the paper towel and throw in some VERY slightly moist potting mix or vermiculite or some such to hold it.  Even better transfer the seed to a regular baggie and add more moist soil.  The idea here is to keep the seed moist, but not soggy, and aerated.  

Some of the western trilliums may have some elaisome still attached.  If it's gooey wash it off, otherwise you can just sow it with the elaisome.  I've done this before and had good germination.

Jan