cleaning Trillium seeds

Started by ksayce, July 29, 2023, 11:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksayce

Do you have tips on how to clean Trillium seeds? I've used dry sand in the past, and find it tedious and prolonged. This may be the usual process? Found 2 T. kurabayashi pods in my garden today--usually wasps/ants +? get them all before I
do.
Trillium kuribayashi seeds.jpg
South coast of Washington, zone 8, mild wet winters, cool dry summers, in sand

Jan Jeddeloh

I use the throw them in a plastic bag and let the elaisomes turn to mush and then wash them.  However it doesn't hurt at all to just plant them with the elaisomes.  That's how I got my kurabayashii.  Someone brought some ripe seed pods to our NARGS chapter picnic and told us to plant them immediately.  I squished them out of the berries the next day and planted them, elaisomes and all.  I had fabulous germination the next spring.

Cyclanthera

I'm wondering if you could put the fresh Trillium seeds in some sort of wire mesh with holes just smaller than the seeds, but big enough for ants to gain access.  Then, sit back and let the ants do the work of removing the elaisomes.  Will have to try this once I move near family in Northern California. 

Diane Whitehead

Hey, I like that, and the ants would, too.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

David Pilling

Quote from: Diane Whitehead on July 30, 2023, 12:25:05 PMHey, I like that, and the ants would, too.

Yes, good idea. Make a video. But would it be like that You Tube video where the fat mouse can't get out of the trap (having scoffed the cheese).

Uli

I like the idea, too but it would really need to be wire and not plastic mesh...... I put the unripe seed capsules of Cyclamen rohlfsianum into very small organza bags. But on checking them I found open capsules but no seed. On looking closer, the ants had bitten a small hole into the bag and got to the seed.......
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

ksayce

I'm going to give soaking a try. All are going to new homes in the PNW, where local nurseries are pleased to get them. Thanks for all your ideas. 
I like organza bags too, but it turns out that voles also eat through them to get tasty seeds. Soak in hot pepper oil first to deter voles? 
South coast of Washington, zone 8, mild wet winters, cool dry summers, in sand