Amorphophallus 'Shattered Glass'

Started by petershaw, August 03, 2023, 10:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petershaw

Picked up this little cutie at Peacock Horticultural Nursery in Sebastopol. The pattern is variable but present in both plants. Tubers I think..

IMG_3074.jpg

Bwosczyna

They are a lot of fun to grow.  My largest corm weighed in at 18 lbs. when I potted it this year.  Be prepared.  It only took about 8 years to reach that weight - and that's after I chonked a quarter of it digging out of the ground two years ago.  
Bridget

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Bwosczyna on August 04, 2023, 07:05:11 PMThey are a lot of fun to grow.  My largest corm weighed in at 18 lbs. when I potted it this year.  Be prepared.  It only took about 8 years to reach that weight - and that's after I chonked a quarter of it digging out of the ground two years ago. 
Bridget
That's a hard way of propagating them!

It's interesting how the pattern changes from year to year.  And the offsets are always a surprise...this year, from only the tiniest bit of variegation to about 50% white.

Bwosczyna

Hey Bob: 
Just saw this message... yeah, not the optimum way to care for a corm.  It's in a huge pot and I can stand beneath it this year.  Zero variegation.  And every offset from last year has no variegation either.  Interesting.
B

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Bwosczyna on August 27, 2023, 05:30:18 PMHey Bob:
Just saw this message... yeah, not the optimum way to care for a corm.  It's in a huge pot and I can stand beneath it this year.  Zero variegation.  And every offset from last year has no variegation either.  Interesting.
B
Given that the new tuber is stem tissue which produced the new leaf, and if you look at the petiole, you can see the stripes of variegation, it would make sense that a totally green leaf is likely to produce a tuber with no variegation.

So, would it follow that you should chop off a totally green leaf, and hope that the replacement leaves come from dormant buds with variegation? Once the plant has grown a new tuber it would be too late.

Ditto a totally white leaf?

Robert

Bwosczyna

Interesting things to consider. But the leaf on the mother corm was variegated last year and the offset corms from last year are all green as well.

No worries.  I have time and I have room.  I'll cut some stems and see what happens.  
B

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Bwosczyna on August 28, 2023, 09:01:04 PMInteresting things to consider. But the leaf on the mother corm was variegated last year and the offset corms from last year are all green as well.

No worries.  I have time and I have room.  I'll cut some stems and see what happens. 
B
Interesting! Glad you have time to experiment...the best I can do is remember to take pictures. Impressive how much the variegation changes from year to year, and from offset to offset...heck, one of the offsets put up a second leaf that is 75% very pale green while the old leaf is less than 10% variegated.