Notes of Bob Werra

Started by Uli, August 19, 2023, 01:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uli

Dear Mary Sue, Dear Mike, Dear All,

Thank you very much for sharing your memories of Bob Werra who must have been a remarkable person. I have never met him but there is a lot shining through your words which does not need to be outspoken.

After reading Mary Sue's and your contribution in the email list I thought that it might be a good idea to save Bob's notes for the future, for example in the Wiki. You describe his notes like a condensed lifetime experience of a meticulous grower and good observer.

I do not know how the practical side of preserving these notes would look like, though.

Several years ago I found myself in a similar situation when the plant collection of John Lavranos was distributed after his death. John was a plantsman of the old school, generous, extremely knowledgeable and a language genius. I received about 80 pots of dormant bulbs, but unfortunately most of them without labels. I am still in the process of identification of some, there is a responsibility to preserve and care for this legacy. John's field notes are available but without labels I cannot really use them. 
I try to distribute as much as I can, his collection contains some real gems.

Bye for now 

Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate