Bulb sourcing

Started by ErinD, August 30, 2023, 10:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErinD

Hey! I'm trying to source some bulbs for a Middle Eastern collection for a botanical garden. I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction. I'm looking for:

Lilium ledbourii
Narcissus tazetta 
Scadoxus multiflorus 
Iris albicans
Iris persica 
Iris meda 
Tulipa schrenkii (syn. Tulipa suaveolens)
Sternbergia lutea

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! :)

Mikent

Erin,

Where are you located? US, Europe?

Welcome.

Mike

ErinD

Hi Mike! 

I'm in Canada (British Columbia). 

janemcgary

Erin, I grow some of the species you mention in Oregon, but I can't ship them to Canada as I cannot get a phytosanitary certificate. If you should be traveling here sometime, however, please let me know and I can give them to you. Most of them would be dormant this time of year.

illahe

Hi Erin,

Not to be the bearer of more bad news, but in addition to the phytosanitary Jane mentioned, at least the Sternbergia mentioned is also CITES and subject to another whole slew of permits that are expensive and difficult to obtain.

I do ship bulbs to Canada with a phytosanitary if the aren't on the CITES list, but currently only have the Sternbergia in stock, which is CITES listed, check out the website at: illahe rare plants fall bulb list

You should also check out Oron Peri's wonderful list at: https://seedsofpeace.info/

All the best,

Mark
illahe rare plants
Salem, Oregon

MarcR

Quote from: ErinD on August 30, 2023, 10:50:34 AMHey! I'm trying to source some bulbs for a Middle Eastern collection for a botanical garden. I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction. I'm looking for:

Lilium ledbourii
Narcissus tazetta
Scadoxus multiflorus
Iris albicans
Iris persica
Iris meda
Tulipa schrenkii (syn. Tulipa suaveolens)
Sternbergia lutea

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! :)
Erin,

For the Iris species tru SIGNA [Species Iris Group North America]
I don't grow the other things you are looking for so I can't help with those.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Robin Hansen

Marc,

Do these need to be from wild-collected seed or from a botanist who has at some point collected seed in the wild. I'm thinking of one of our writers in England who has done research on Scadoxus...

Robin
Robin Hansen
President, PBS

MarcR

Robin,

Most seed offered by SIGNA members is garden collected.

It is often hand pollinated and protected with a baggie.

Marc
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Carlos

Hi, I gave away about ten different wild tazettas, as I needed to make room...

But i gave them to a friend, I can request for seeds. It is naturalized here in many places.

Seeds are out of CITES but S. lutea is usually sterile in Western Europe. I don't remember if Oron sells seeds of lutea. I have three bulbs from Iran and these might set seed.

Iris albicans is almost sterile, and only a few people grow true Iris meda. I hope to get seeds or one rhizome next year.

I can ask a couple of colleagues for the Tulipa and Lilium.

Carlos

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Carlos

Hi, I found some seeds of Lilium ledebourii.

They will be sent to me from Ukraine, or you can give your postal address to me so you get them directly.

I will be back if I get any of the other seeds.

Carlos

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm