Parakeelya primuliflora - A Beautiful Flowering Geophyte From Western Australia

Started by Bern, October 02, 2023, 10:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bern

Parakeelya primuliflora is a small geophyte of the Montiaceae Family found in Western Australia. It has nice, large purple flowers. This plant might make a nice container subject if it was brought into cultivation. An internet search turned up no sources for tubers or seeds. Has anyone seen this plant in cultivation?

Here's a link with photos from Bihrmann's Caudiciforms website.

https://bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/SUBS/par-pri-sub.asp

CG100

So far as I am aware, Australian wildlife laws permit unrestricted international trade in native seeds.
If that is correct, you just need to find an Australian source.

MarcR

Bern,

Calendrina is a synonym. You might find it as Calendrina primuliflora.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

MarcR

Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Bern

Quote from: CG100 on October 02, 2023, 02:05:11 PMyou just need to find an Australian source.

I searched all of the Australian native seed suppliers online and none of them had this plant. Interesting......

Quote from: MarcR on October 02, 2023, 03:10:25 PMI can't find Calendrina primuliflora for sale; but are very similar.

Thanks for checking into this for me.  I appreciate it.  Right now, I'm going to hold out for the real McCoy.  You have to admit it's a cute plant in the photos.  Maybe something will pop up in the future.  If not, there's always another neat plant to grow.

CG100

I do not have a link, but have stumbled across websites for various Australian hobby horticultural societies and clubs over the years - maybe have a search for some of those and contact someone through their website. 
Native Ozzies will at least know where to search or ask.

There must surely be a person or two here, from down under?

MarcR

Bern,

You might try posting on the SRGC forum. They have a larger Australian membership active on the forum.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Bern

Quote from: CG100 on October 03, 2023, 10:22:42 AMThere must surely be a person or two here, from down under?

Quote from: MarcR on October 03, 2023, 11:24:08 AMYou might try posting on the SRGC forum. They have a larger Australian membership active on the forum.

Good points all.  I will keep poking around on this. Maybe something will come up.  Thanks!

Bern

Quote from: CG100 on October 03, 2023, 10:22:42 AMThere must surely be a person or two here, from down under?

I should have titled this post as Parakeelya primuliflora From Western Australia.  That might have clued some of the Aussies that it's a post about one of their native plants. 

I'm going to try to locate some Western Australian Native Plant Societies on the internet. They might be able to provide some more information about this plant. 

David Pilling

Quote from: Bern on October 03, 2023, 03:01:13 PMI should have titled this post

If you started a topic, you can edit your first post in it, and change the title of the topic. Just to prove this I made your suggested change.

Bern

Quote from: David Pilling on October 03, 2023, 04:39:08 PMIf you started a topic, you can edit your first post in it, and change the title of the topic. Just to prove this I made your suggested change.

You Da Man!!!