What to do with unsuitable geophytes?

Started by Robert_Parks, November 06, 2023, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Parks

Well, of course, send 'em to the BX!

Unless they are too heavy and unwieldy to ship...

If there is anyone local to San Francisco, these are available for pickup:

Urginea maritima (or whatever is currently), multiple bulbs 4-6" diameter, unhappy due to cool summers
Scilla peruviana-large clump, excess to needs
Impatiens insignis-multiple plants, deciduous, wants wet conditions to flower well, may prefer cool summers

Email me if you'd like any or all: Robert's email

Robert
in cool, currently rainy San Francisco...maybe enough wetting rain to sow seeds, and get the planted out bulbs to get going for the winter.

CG100

"What to do with unsuitable geophytes?"

Compost.

Over 20 years ago, I planted the very attractive form of Scilla peruviana that is in commercial production. Maybe 3-4 years later, the pack of 20-30 bulbs produced an entire wheelbarrow full, and amazingly, I got every one as I have seen none since.

I did inherit a far nicer form from my mother - that made a very dense clump with long lax and narrow leaves, which would have taken 50-100 years to be considered invasive (if that isn't a contradiction in terms). Very sadly, now long gone.

Robert_Parks

Quote from: CG100 on November 06, 2023, 06:42:48 AM"What to do with unsuitable geophytes?"

Compost.

Over 20 years ago, I planted the very attractive form of Scilla peruviana that is in commercial production. Maybe 3-4 years later, the pack of 20-30 bulbs produced an entire wheelbarrow full, and amazingly, I got every one as I have seen none since.

I did inherit a far nicer form from my mother - that made a very dense clump with long lax and narrow leaves, which would have taken 50-100 years to be considered invasive (if that isn't a contradiction in terms). Very sadly, now long gone.
That would be the ultimate backup, if noone wanted to take them on. If it had just been the Scilla, it would have already been and gone in the green bin, but with the pile of squills, worth it to find out if someone would take them (which, in face, several people have). I bin a fair number of plants every year, either for failure to thrive, or excess thriving.