Lycoris sprengeri bulbs

Started by Chlorophylous, January 19, 2024, 11:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chlorophylous

I have been on the look out for L. sprengeri for quite some time but they are always sold out by the time I find them. Much to my surprise I found 3 bulbs for sale on eBay and purchased them. They arrived in good shape and look very healthy. My question is, when do I plant them? I live in the San Fernando Valley outside of Los Angeles in zone 9b/10a and will be growing them in a pot. I don't know if there is enough time for them to grow leaves and then go dormant for Summer or if I should wait and pot them up in Fall (If they will last that long).

Lee Poulsen

I'm over in the San Gabriel Valley and I have a couple of 10 year old pots of Lycoris sprengeri
, and they are only just now barely starting to put up leaves even though most of the other Lycoris species I have are in full leaf. So I would plant your bulbs now. They'll have plenty of time to grow and replenish your bulbs. I don't think they go dormant here until June. But the smallest pot you should put them in is a 2 gallon pot. They love lots of room for root growth.

There is another guy here in L.A. County somewhere who has grown Lycoris for many years and wrote an article on Lycoris in one of the last issues of the IBS journal. He has been on PBS before but I don't know if he still is. He can give you much better information about growing them in this area.
Pasadena, California, USA - USDA Zone 10a
Latitude 34°N, Altitude 1150 ft/350 m

MarcR

Quote from: Chlorophylous on January 19, 2024, 11:17:42 AMI have been on the look out for L. sprengeri for quite some time but they are always sold out by the time I find them. Much to my surprise I found 3 bulbs for sale on eBay and purchased them. They arrived in good shape and look very healthy. My question is, when do I plant them? I live in the San Fernando Valley outside of Los Angeles in zone 9b/10a and will be growing them in a pot. I don't know if there is enough time for them to grow leaves and then go dormant for Summer or if I should wait and pot them up in Fall (If they will last that long).
You might want to refrigerate them for a week before you plant them.  They flower better after a winter chill.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Emil

Hi Chlorophylous, Aaron at EdensBlooms has Lycoris sprengeri for sale if you need more:

http://www.edensblooms.com/product/L5

-Emil