Dear Diana, I remembered that Will Ashburner had a system for killing these he posted a number of years ago so I looked for it in my archives and found it. (from October 1997). I haven't heard from Will in awhile, but I am sure he'd be be willing to let me share what he wrote in two messages about what to do. I have also seen listed in various catalogs of companies that sell products that are supposedly more environmental friendly sprays. So if you are interested in those resources too let me know. I don't think Will ever wrote a follow-up, year down the road post on this. Let us know if it works for you. Mary Sue "Dear all, Last year Fausto asked if the Robin had any ideas how to control Moss and Liverwort on the tops of Pots. I made a few suggestions one of which was Vinegar which I hadn't tried on bulbs. Well I have now. Vinegar works I think because it lowers the ph of the media which mosses and liverworts don't like. The dilution is 1 to 4 of the cheapest vinegar you can find. Well the results. I had a little problem with mainly mosses growing on the punnets of first year seedlings. It happened because I decided to change my technique, normally I would cover the seedlings with coarse sand (grit) which inhibits the growth. This year at sowing time I didn't have any available till later and have since found how useful the sand is as an inhibitor. I decided to do a test with the vinegar and found it did a marvellous job of killing the moss. It should be applied on a sunny day, for some reason it is not as affective in shady spots. I didn't do all my seedlings but have found that some weren't too happy. The Alstroemeria were burnt off, they have since recovered and some others seem to have gone into dormancy prematurely. It is hard to know if they were going dormant any way. The only link with the others that seemed to be adversely affected was that they were hairy leaved South Africans. If the group would like more information I could check the labels and list them in another posting. Dear Joyce and all, During my couple of days of last week I spent a bit of time with my bulbs and assessed the effects of the Vinegar drench I imposed on the 1 year old seedlings. I mentioned that I thought it had caused some hairy South Africans to go into early dormancy, I am not so sure now and think it was natural. The rest of the pots were also treated with vinegar, this time I filled up a small 1/2 litre hand sprayer and just sprayed the tops of the pots on the morning of a sunny day. By the next day the mosses and liverworts were going brown. This technique means that you can miss a few patches but unlike drenching you only need a small amount of the 25% vinegar mix. The only genera that has adversely effected has been Alstroemeria. This year I have an extraordinary wide range of bulbous species from Albuca to Xerophyta and all in between, I haven't treated any South African amaryllids in this way. I have done some treatments to pots in the shade but haven't assessed them yet. All the best Will Ashburner"