Allergic reactions

Roy M. Sachs
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:12:28 PST
>Dear All:
>I am aware that when one handles bulbs of Hyacinthus, and when cutting
>Narcissus flowers for market, one can get allergic reactions, swollen
>fingers, and swellings around the nails. Has anyone had any other
>allergic reactions from handling any other genera? Cheers, John E. Bryan

Alstroemeria-caused dermatitis is not uncommon.

Early on (first 2 years of growing them) I had bad case of same (one 
of my daughters still suffers a severe reaction to alstros).

I no longer have a problem. I have no explanation for the acquired 
resistance, but could be that I produce antibodies quickly on 
exposure to the offending antigen.

More information about the pbs mailing list