Question about Naked Ladies

Jim McKenney
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:09:44 PST
David Ehrlich wrote:
"There is a botanical word I'm looking for - it's something like gradient,
but I don't think that's the word.  It is used when referring to a species
with a broad distribution which has one form at one end of its distribution
and a very different form at the other end.  The two extreme forms are
sometimes considered separate species.  But when the distribution is
continuous and every intermediate form is found and there is no bar to
interbreeding, this special word is used, and the population is considered a

single species with disparate extreme forms"

David, the word you want is "cline". 

Jim McKenney

More information about the pbs mailing list