Problems by sending plants to an other country

J.E. Shields
Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:48:48 PST
When I receive a shipment coming into the USA by air freight, I use a 
customs broker to handle clearing the shipment and to forward it on to 
me.  I pay for all these extra services, which are avoided if one uses the 
postal service.  In all cases, a phytosanitary certificate must accompany 
the shipment.  It gets to be expensive.  I rarely import anything anymore.

In general, the US Postal Service handles parcels sent by mail, including 
Priority Mail, through US Customs.  The cost is included in the 
postage.  The process is much, much slower than using air freight and a 
customs broker.  In all cases, a phytosanitary certificate must accompany 
the shipment.

My customs broker has provided excellent service in the past, and I would 
be happy to provide their contact details to anyone in the USA who wants to 
import plant materials by air freight.  This is by far the fastest and 
safest way to bring valuable plant materials into the USA.  Just remember, 
air freight is rather inexpensive, but customs clearance with a broker is 
quite expensive.  Any package imported into the USA by any means other than 
the postal service will require a customs broker unless you can act as your 
own broker at the port of entry.

Jim Shields

At 10:48 AM 11/13/2010 +0100, you wrote:
>Here some things to know from Chronopost , USPS and others
>If you send a parcel and you pay an amount of money
>the correct phytosanitaire papers are on the parcel
>you think the parcel arrives save
>WRONG see email

Jim Shields             USDA Zone 5
P.O. Box 92              WWW:
Westfield, Indiana 46074, USA
Tel. ++1-317-867-3344

More information about the pbs mailing list