bulb import permits, again

penstemon penstemon@Q.com
Tue, 08 Mar 2016 17:02:45 PST
Here is the relevant document (thanks, Russell), for importing bulbs into the US. 


“The regulations in 7 CFR 319.37-1 define “bulb” as “the portion of a plant commonly known as a bulb, bulbil, bulblet, corm, cormel, rhizome, tuber, or pip, and including fleshy roots or other underground fleshy growths, a unit of which produces an individual plant.” Bulbs, except precleared bulbs, are subject to inspection and will be treated if plant pests of quarantine significance are found. Most bulbs do not require a written permit for entry. Mail shipments may be addressed directly to the recipient. Such parcels must be plainly labeled to identify the contents. 

Bulbs, except precleared bulbs, must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the plant protection service of the country of origin, including an additional declaration for freedom of potato cyst nematodes from specified countries. See 7 CFR319-37-5 (a) for the list of countries.”


p.s. If the bulbs are not dormant, i.e. showing new growth, they’re treated as nursery stock.  
pbs mailing list

More information about the pbs mailing list