pbs Digest, Vol 37, Issue 23

Jane Sargent jane@deskhenge.com
Wed, 25 Mar 2020 08:38:21 PDT
Gee, I wish my amaryllis bulbs were so congested that they crowded out other things. I was reading about a different plant, not a bulb but having a powerful taproot: Taraxacum. Outsidepride.com is selling 5,000 common dandelion seeds for $4.99. Housewarming present? Creative vandalism? I think of my Dad, policing the lawn with a metal tool to sever that tenacious taproot. Maybe he hated dandelions, but maybe he just wanted the peace and quiet? Is that why we garden? I wish you all peace and quiet in these tough times.  Jane

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:00 AM, pbs-request@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net wrote:
> 
> ´╗┐Send pbs mailing list submissions to
>    pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    pbs-request@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    pbs-owner@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of pbs digest..."
> 
> 
> List-Post:<mailto:pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> List-Archive:<http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/list.php
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: White Worsleya available (Bridget Wosczyna)
>   2. Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity? (Jane McGary)
>   3. Re: Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity? (Robert Lauf)
>   4. Re: Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity? (Jim McKenney)
>   5. Re: Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity? (Arnold Trachtenberg)
>   6. Re: Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity? /allelopathy (Tim Eck)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:06:17 -0400
> From: Bridget Wosczyna <fritchick@gmail.com>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] White Worsleya available
> Message-ID: <4F70652F-0149-46D6-91CE-CB640E289649@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> 
> Hello Vlad. Are any still available?  Many thanks, be safe,
> Bridget. 
> 
>> On Mar 24, 2020, at 3:56 AM, Vlad Volosciuc via pbs <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net> wrote:
>> 
>> ?Dear all,
>> 
>> There are 3 white Worsleya bulbs available (offsets, not seedlings):
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
>> Name: image0.jpeg
>> Type: image/jpeg
>> Size: 152461 bytes
>> Desc: not available
>> URL: <http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> 
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
>> Name: image1.jpeg
>> Type: image/jpeg
>> Size: 201407 bytes
>> Desc: not available
>> URL: <http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> 
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
>> Name: image2.jpeg
>> Type: image/jpeg
>> Size: 364382 bytes
>> Desc: not available
>> URL: <http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Please write me privately if interested.
>> 
>> Stay safe,
>> Vlad
>> 
>> 
>> Sent from my iPhone XS
>> _______________________________________________
>> pbs mailing list
>> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
>> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:35:00 -0700
> From: Jane McGary <janemcgary@earthlink.net>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: [pbs] Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity?
> Message-ID: <44928f6e-e666-cc2c-df90-13485783f0db@earthlink.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
> 
> An inquiry has come via the PBS website asking whether Amaryllis 
> belladonna has some property that prevents other plants from growing 
> near it. Does anyone know about this? Or are his Amaryllis so congested 
> that the shallow-growing bulbs are just blocking anything else from growing?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Jane McGary
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 18:37:25 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Robert Lauf <boblauf@att.net>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity?
> Message-ID: <1454307223.1407998.1585075045789@mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
> A search of Google scholar turned up a number of references.? The attached paper might be informative at least as a starting point, but bear in mind their interest was using extracts or ground up biomass as a pre-emergent herbicide to suppress germination of weeds.
> Bob LaufOak Ridge, TN
>    On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 02:20:35 PM EDT, Jane McGary <janemcgary@earthlink.net> wrote:  
> 
> An inquiry has come via the PBS website asking whether Amaryllis 
> belladonna has some property that prevents other plants from growing 
> near it. Does anyone know about this? Or are his Amaryllis so congested 
> that the shallow-growing bulbs are just blocking anything else from growing?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Jane McGary
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:00:58 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Jim McKenney <jamesamckenney@verizon.net>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity?
> Message-ID: <837700540.915013.1585076458972@mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
> Is phytotoxicity the correct term for this phenomenon? I would have used allelopathy.?
> Jim McKenney
> 
>    On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 02:37:34 PM EDT, Robert Lauf <boblauf@att.net> wrote:  
> 
>  A search of Google scholar turned up a number of references.? The attached paper might be informative at least as a starting point, but bear in mind their interest was using extracts or ground up biomass as a pre-emergent herbicide to suppress germination of weeds.
> Bob LaufOak Ridge, TN
> ? ? On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 02:20:35 PM EDT, Jane McGary <janemcgary@earthlink.net> wrote:? 
> 
> An inquiry has come via the PBS website asking whether Amaryllis 
> belladonna has some property that prevents other plants from growing 
> near it. Does anyone know about this? Or are his Amaryllis so congested 
> that the shallow-growing bulbs are just blocking anything else from growing?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Jane McGary
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> ? 
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:20:34 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Arnold Trachtenberg <arnold140@verizon.net>
> To: pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> Cc: jamesamckenney@verizon.net
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity?
> Message-ID: <339365923.1425020.1585077634521@mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
> Walnuts are well known for the allelopathy?trait.?
> Nothing grows?under them due to the release of juglone which inhibits germination of seeds?
> ArnoldNew Jersey?
> 
> Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
> Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com
> On?Tuesday, March 24, 2020,?Jim McKenney via pbs?<pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>?wrote:
> 
> Is phytotoxicity the correct term for this phenomenon? I would have used allelopathy.?
> Jim McKenney
> 
> ? ? On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 02:37:34 PM EDT, Robert Lauf <boblauf@att.net> wrote:? 
> 
> ? A search of Google scholar turned up a number of references.? The attached paper might be informative at least as a starting point, but bear in mind their interest was using extracts or ground up biomass as a pre-emergent herbicide to suppress germination of weeds.
> Bob LaufOak Ridge, TN
> ? ? On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 02:20:35 PM EDT, Jane McGary <janemcgary@earthlink.net> wrote:? 
> 
> An inquiry has come via the PBS website asking whether Amaryllis 
> belladonna has some property that prevents other plants from growing 
> near it. Does anyone know about this? Or are his Amaryllis so congested 
> that the shallow-growing bulbs are just blocking anything else from growing?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Jane McGary
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> ? 
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> ? 
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 16:04:45 -0400
> From: Tim Eck <timeck17582@gmail.com>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Amaryllis belladonna phytotoxicity? /allelopathy
> Message-ID:
>    <CA+ur5iaC6y5aZKz2EzMpKp2=H=dDNoVN5eva_JAbdr92JXNodA@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> It's not unreasonable.
> Perennial grasses are notorious for allelopathy, especially directed toward
> tree seedlings.  That is the chief reason new tree plantings have those
> circles of mulch around them.  As the roots become more extensive, there is
> no reason for mulch patches.  But prairies and forests have a constant
> battle for territory at the boundaries.  Trees will shade out grass and
> forbs but they also produce some allelopathic chemicals in roots and leaves
> with black walnut and tree of heaven some of the most well known examples.
> Annual grasses show little evidence of allelopathy.
> I would not be surprised if relatively low and slow growing plants like
> bulbs did not exhibit allelopathy or at least were immune to it and able to
> piggy-back on 'companion' plants that were allelopathic.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of pbs Digest, Vol 37, Issue 23
> ***********************************

_______________________________________________
pbs mailing list
pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…


More information about the pbs mailing list