Mandragora

Ben Zonneveld via pbs pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
Sun, 16 Jan 2022 05:49:35 PST
I measured the amount of DNA per nucleus for Mandragora officinalis as 1.71
picogram. It would be interesting to compare this with M. autumnalis. It
could solve the discussion.
Ben.Zonneveld@naturalis.nl

Op zo 16 jan. 2022 om 13:00 schreef <
pbs-request@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>

> Send pbs mailing list submissions to
>         pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         pbs-request@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         pbs-owner@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of pbs digest..."
>
>
> List-Post:<mailto:pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> List-Archive:<http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/list.php
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. hymenocallis amancaes (daniel girardon)
>    2. Calochortus SX (Jan Jeddeloh)
>    3. Winter in the Algarve (Johannes-Ulrich Urban)
>    4. Re: Winter in the Algarve (Vlad Hempel)
>    5. Re: Winter in the Algarve (Robert Lauf)
>    6. Re: Winter in the Algarve (Nils Hasenbein)
>    7. Re: Winter in the Algarve (Mandragora) (Garak)
>    8. Re: Winter in the Algarve (Mandragora) (Brian Whyer)
>    9. Re: Worsleya Procera seedlings (Jack & Val Myrick)
>   10. re Daniel Girardon searching for Hymenocalis amancaes
>       (Bruce Schroder)
>   11. Re: Winter in the Algarve (Mandragora) (Nils Hasenbein)
>   12. Re: Saunders' Field Guide to Gladioli of South Africa
>       (johan-willm@orange.fr)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 21:28:03 +0100
> From: daniel girardon <daniel.girardon71@gmail.com>
> To: pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> Subject: [pbs] hymenocallis amancaes
> Message-ID:
>         <CALpNrbGA4FBDEsY6s96N-g1Y9s7a1fkT3u=
> 2jnh8MxYgkYH6zQ@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hello everyone,
> I'm looking for who can help me find this species that I lost
> thank you
> Daniel Girardon
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:30:12 -0800
> From: Jan Jeddeloh <janjeddeloh@gmail.com>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: [pbs] Calochortus SX
> Message-ID: <C2F99F54-A886-412E-9EB9-8F0C84D26A79@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=utf-8
>
> The lucky winners of the three calochortus shares are:
> Marc Rosenblum
> Robyn Cairns
> Torrey Neal
>
> Seed is packaged up and will be mailed by Monday at the latest.
>
> The other folks in the drawing were:
> Christine Dowd
> Mark Akimoff
> Christopher McDaniel
> Michael Mace
> Paige Woodward
> Jancy Lovell
> Elizabeth and Marc Evans
> Maxine Cass
> James Shao
>
> If your name is not on this list it?s because your membership is not paid
> up for 2022 and were not entered into the drawing.
>
>
>
> Jan Jeddeloh
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 21:36:36 +0000
> From: Johannes-Ulrich Urban <johannes-ulrich-urban@t-online.de>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: [pbs] Winter in the Algarve
> Message-ID: <6D6FC6F9-2D35-4065-990B-7320E7FDEF5D@t-online.de>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Dear All,
>
> Today I participated in a magnificent guided walk through a designated
> nature conservation project, a coastal wetland.  I have seen several
> flowering  plants of the mandrake Mandagora autumnalis. They are lush
> vigorous clumps with crinkled foliage and surprisingly large blue flowers.
> I was concerned to hear that this is a seriously endangered species in
> Portugal. I would love to share these pictures with you, this is the first
> time ever that I have seen this plant.
>
> Bye for now
>
> Uli
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: image0.jpeg
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 191529 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: image1.jpeg
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 161137 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: image2.jpeg
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 169183 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:40:32 +0100
> From: Vlad Hempel <vlad.hempel@gmail.com>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Cc: Johannes-Ulrich Urban <johannes-ulrich-urban@t-online.de>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Winter in the Algarve
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CALCu09t+z6g82yOYHc23TvkBiet_EFO2MOeobn6PU-8fOm3ahw@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Such a lovely color Uli, thank you for sharing.
>
>
>
> On Sat 15. Jan 2022 at 22:37 Johannes-Ulrich Urban via pbs <
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Today I participated in a magnificent guided walk through a designated
> > nature conservation project, a coastal wetland.  I have seen several
> > flowering  plants of the mandrake Mandagora autumnalis. They are lush
> > vigorous clumps with crinkled foliage and surprisingly large blue
> flowers.
> > I was concerned to hear that this is a seriously endangered species in
> > Portugal. I would love to share these pictures with you, this is the
> first
> > time ever that I have seen this plant.
> >
> > Bye for now
> >
> > Uli
> >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> > Name: image0.jpeg
> > Type: image/jpeg
> > Size: 191529 bytes
> > Desc: not available
> > URL: <
> >
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> >
> >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> > Name: image1.jpeg
> > Type: image/jpeg
> > Size: 161137 bytes
> > Desc: not available
> > URL: <
> >
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> >
> >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> > Name: image2.jpeg
> > Type: image/jpeg
> > Size: 169183 bytes
> > Desc: not available
> > URL: <
> >
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > pbs mailing list
> > pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> > http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> > Unsubscribe: <mailto:pbs-unsubscribe@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:18:55 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Robert Lauf <boblauf@att.net>
> To: Johannes-Ulrich Urban via pbs <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Winter in the Algarve
> Message-ID: <1902035034.1068464.1642285135181@mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
>  Cool.
> One question:? If this is a conservation project and the species is
> considered vulnerable, do the conservators allow/encourage the collection
> of seed so that the maximum number of plants can be propagated for
> reintroduction and/or distribution to other favorable habitats, or is the
> strategy just "put a fence around them and watch them die out?"
> Bob? ? ? E Tenn, where I expect the current winter storm will bring little
> or no snow to my little microclimate.? Currently 40F and a bit gloomy.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 23:29:22 +0100
> From: Nils Hasenbein <nils.hasenbein@googlemail.com>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Winter in the Algarve
> Message-ID: <E4EA73EF-2922-4F83-BCB9-B3E5C385DDD4@googlemail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Beautiful pictures, Uli! I grew M. autumnalis from seed about 15 years ago
> (it was said to be easier to grow than M. officinalis, and I wanted to give
> a Mandrake to a friend who had asked about them after reading Harry
> Potter). It was easy to grow in a pot, and it flowered ok, but the plant
> was in no way as lush and beautiful as these.
>
> Best wishes,
> Nils
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 00:00:57 +0100
> From: Garak <garak@code-garak.de>
> To: Nils Hasenbein via pbs <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Winter in the Algarve (Mandragora)
> Message-ID: <be2cfd3f-8cf2-9e3c-7833-5d18bbc8315d@code-garak.de>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"; Format="flowed"
>
> Nils,
>
> You might be aware that the taxonomic status of M. officinarum and
> autumnalis is an on and off - discussion, which seems currently in favor
> of separate species. Anyway, mine was bought as autumnalis, but flowers
> in April to May for me and looks a lot like the? officinarum depicted on
> PotW - at least southern Germany allows for an outdoor planting, maybe
> you could try it yourself. As nice as the lush version in Uli's picture?
> is, I guess less lush may be more useful in the garden.
>
> Martin
>
> Am 15.01.2022 um 23:29 schrieb Nils Hasenbein via pbs:
> > grew M. autumnalis from seed about 15 years ago (it was said to be
> easier to grow than M. officinalis, and I wanted to give a Mandrake to a
> friend who had asked about them after reading Harry Potter). It was easy to
> grow in a pot, and it flowered ok, but the plant was in no way as lush and
> beautiful as these.
>
> --
> Martin (pronoun: he)
> ----------------------------------------------
> Southern Germany
> Likely zone 7a
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: Mandragora Germany outdoor.JPG
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 3252454 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/pipermail/pbs/…
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 23:20:06 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Brian Whyer <brian.whyer@btinternet.com>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Winter in the Algarve (Mandragora)
> Message-ID: <50113fe4.d67fe.17e600a78a8.Webtop.91@btinternet.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
>
> My M. officinarum seems almost indestructible in largish pots, for many
> years. Divide them occasionally but not a showy plant for potential
> sale. The fruit is better than the flowers (blue green, spring form); at
> least until eaten by slugs. Don't know if pets might eat it.
>
> Brian Whyer, SE UK
> Nils,
> You might be aware that the taxonomic status of M. officinarum and
> autumnalis is an on and off - discussion, which seems currently in favor
> of separate species. Anyway, mine was bought as autumnalis, but flowers
> in April to May for me and looks a lot like the  officinarum depicted on
> PotW - at least southern Germany allows for an outdoor planting, maybe
> you could try it yourself. As nice as the lush version in Uli's picture
> is, I guess less lush may be more useful in the garden.
> Martin
> grew M. autumnalis from seed about 15 years ago (it was said to be
> easier to grow than M. officinalis, and I wanted to give a Mandrake to a
> friend who had asked about them after reading Harry Potter). It was easy
> to grow in a pot, and it flowered ok, but the plant was in no way as
> lush and beautiful as these.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 18:31:18 -0800
> From: Jack & Val Myrick <vkmyrick@pacbell.net>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Worsleya Procera seedlings
> Message-ID: <50A75C96-121F-4C35-8945-21BFED1C28EA@pacbell.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii
>
> Wow!  They are really amazing.  Good luck bringing them to maturity.
>
> Val
> Sonora, CA
>
> > On Jan 14, 2022, at 8:15 PM, Mike via pbs <
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net> wrote:
> >
> > Twelve months ago I germinated some WP seeds. All germinated within about
> > 10-14 days. They have spent the year in individual pots. Pretty happy so
> > far with their progress.  Had a hiccup or two along the way. We all
> > survived them though.  Probably begin to repot the larger ones in the
> > spring.
> >
> > Have a great weekend,
> >
> > Mike
> > San Diego
> > Looking forward to some showers late this weekend.
> > _______________________________________________
> > pbs mailing list
> > pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> > http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> > Unsubscribe: <mailto:pbs-unsubscribe@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:56:49 +1100
> From: Bruce Schroder <silvertop1952@gmail.com>
> To: pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> Subject: [pbs] re Daniel Girardon searching for Hymenocalis amancaes
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CANRzmrhAhTs84bUsQSoXuZXHxNxrCxrx7h00vqiKVV9oyBTg3w@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> I'm pretty sure it would be Ismene amancaes you are after Daniel although I
> see PBS references both names.  I would suspect there are only a very small
> number of people in this group or perhaps even wider than this group that
> are growing this species so I wish you the best of luck!  It seems it is
> impossible to source seeds or bulbs from its native Peru and in all my
> years of growing bulbs, I have never seen them available anywhere, either
> commercially or from collectors.
>
> Certainly Daniel, if you manage to track a source, I would be knocking at
> his/her door for just a coupe of seeds!
>
> Bruce Schroder, Australia
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:08:00 +0100
> From: Nils Hasenbein <nils.hasenbein@googlemail.com>
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Winter in the Algarve (Mandragora)
> Message-ID: <7BEEAF4A-F38E-46AC-AF0A-135F770EA902@googlemail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Martin,
>
> to me, the two forms seem pretty distict, so I would prefer them to remain
> split.
> You are right, I should give it another try; I simply had no garden to
> plant it those years ago. Judging from Ulis and the wiki?s pictures, a
> medium fertility should yield a more balanced leaf-to-flower ratio.
>
> Best wishes,
> Nils
>
> P.S.: Of course it?s officinarum, not officinalis - in my previous post
> spell check ?corrected? it
>
> From the middle of germany, where it is wet, foggy and around 2-4 C at the
> moment, after too warm (12C) holidays and a few freezing (-8C) nights.
> Hippeastrum are fading indoors, a single Crocus laevigatus flowers in a pot
> outdoors.
>
>
> ... von unterwegs ...
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:09:27 +0100
> From: johan-willm@orange.fr
> To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
> Subject: Re: [pbs] Saunders' Field Guide to Gladioli of South Africa
> Message-ID: <dbcdadc3-3746-4fb6-8e9e-3e56a7228197@email.android.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list
> pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
> http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
> Unsubscribe: <mailto:pbs-unsubscribe@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of pbs Digest, Vol 59, Issue 15
> ***********************************
>
-- 
Met vriendelijke groet,

Ben Zonneveld
Gastonderzoeker
<https://naturalis-public-media-assets.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/…>






- -
ben.zonneveld@naturalis.nl - http://www.naturalis.nl/
Darwinweg 2, 2333 CR Leiden
Postbus 9517, 2300 RA Leiden
<https://www.naturalis.nl/>
_______________________________________________
pbs mailing list
pbs@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net
http://lists.pacificbulbsociety.net/cgi-bin/…
Unsubscribe: <mailto:pbs-unsubscribe@lists.pacificbulbsociety.net>




More information about the pbs mailing list