December photos 2022

Started by Martin Bohnet, December 10, 2022, 03:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlos

Hi, Uli, they are early indeed! This is subsp. Validus, common throughout Portugal.

Carlos
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Arnold

What have you added, over what sort of area? Reflectors/shades?

--I've added two four tube LED fixtures each about 15-18 inches above the plants.  The come on at 7 AM and turn off at 5 PM.  They are suspended from the greenhouse supports.

In reality, approaching natural maximum light levels would be almost impossible - cramming enough lamps in would be impossible. Ignoring the costs.........

--The cost of LED's has been minimal for me here in Northeast USA. I think the up front cost for LEDs is more than other systems but the operating costs are less. The idea was  to add a bit more light energy to the plants.  It's worked out well for the Ferraria's as they have started flowering consistently

Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: Arnold on December 18, 2022, 04:58:14 AMIn reality, approaching natural maximum light levels would be almost impossible - cramming enough lamps in would be impossible. Ignoring the costs.........

--The cost of LED's has been minimal for me here in Northeast USA. I think the up front cost for LEDs is more than other systems but the operating costs are less. The idea was  to add a bit more light energy to the plants.  It's worked out well for the Ferraria's as they have started flowering consistently

So it seems that the difference of ~40° latitude in NJ to ~33° (Cape Town) can be compensated with LEDs effectively enough. My 48° on the other hand... still the LEDs help a lot keeping things from becoming too leggy.

One thing I can see with my setup is that many Oxalis fail to open up their flowers - this Oxalis tomentosa
IS leggy and needs a friendly direct blowing aid to open at least a bit. I really should learn to resist in the exchanges...
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

CG100

Different coloured/wavelength light produces different effects in plants.

Pretty much all wavelengths can produce growth but light of green-yellow-orange produces most growth per watt. Blue light controls inter-nodal distance and rather little is needed to keep growth compact. Lighting levels only have to be very low for plants to show phto-period effects, such as coming into flower - if memory is correct, red light is most effective.

Not only insolation varies across the globe, although we are considering mostly latitude here, but so does spectral content.

The big players in horticultural lighting systems - most especially Philips - have published masses of information and data.

Arnold

Massonia bredasdorpensis  Two year old seedlings.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Daubenya zeyheri.

This may be an unusual one.  Leaves wit ha central mid leaf white strip.

Had a look at Bothalia Vol. 32.2 from Oct 2022  "Systematics of the genus Daubenya (Hyacinthaceae: Massonieae)  and the descriptions do not  state any    have a   mid leaf white strip.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on December 19, 2022, 04:41:13 AMSo it seems that the difference of ~40° latitude in NJ to ~33° (Cape Town) can be compensated with LEDs effectively enough. My 48° on the other hand... still the LEDs help a lot keeping things from becoming too leggy.

One thing I can see with my setup is that many Oxalis fail to open up their flowers - this Oxalis tomentosa
IS leggy and needs a friendly direct blowing aid to open at least a bit. I really should learn to resist in the exchanges...
Yeah, some of the Oxalis want direct sun to open...low angle late afternoon light doesn't cut it either!

Robert
in chilly (for us) San Francisco.
The only Oxalis open today was atacamensis, which doesn't open and close

Uli

Try Oxalis namaquana. Bright yellow even open in rain with me. But do not let it escape from the pot in your climate. I found it near Leliefontein. It formed a mat of shallow soil on rocks in a wet place 
Pictures come later...... it is raining too much.....
Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Wylie

I find that my South African bulbs do just fine outside in the rain, and it rains a lot here during the winter, as long as they are in well draining soil. Bagacina, a lava rock product, does well as an additive. Once the sun gets high enough, my oxalis will finally open. There are fields that are full of the dreaded O. pes-caprea that will be opening soon.

One of my hybrids, Gladiolus huttonii x Gladiolus undulatus is in bloom. I caught a photo when the first flower opened, but since then the wind has beat up the other flowers on it. It is in a raised bed with the neighbor's cement block wall in the background.

Gladiolus huttonii x Gladiolus undulatus.jpg

Arnold

Othonna cakilefolia 

Flowers not yet fully developed
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Othonna cakilifolia a bit further along.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

So it's New Year's Eve, 18°C in southern Germany, and I've got at least one bulb in flower outside: Colchicum szovitsii
'Tivi'.

To demonstrate how unusual this is: Heleborus niger (not unusual) with honey bees, and the last second of a truly remarkable butterfly. I don't think there is a long history of butterflies killed in Germany on December 31st in the open garden by a cat.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Arnold

Lachenalia callista
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Ferraria ferrariola
Arnold T.
North East USA