seeking kniphopfia multiflora

Started by Pegasus, November 09, 2022, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus

hello, does anyone have seeds willing to share? I would buy them also,

Thank you
Yoli

jshields

Quote from: Pegasus on November 09, 2022, 10:32:30 AMhello, does anyone have seeds willing to share? I would buy them also,

Thank you
Yoli
Hi Pegasus,
Where are you? I have seeds of Zephyranthes and Habranthus off and on during the year in my greenhouse. I might mail a few samples to someone inside the USA, but I cannot ship them internationally .

Jim Shields (my real name)
Westfield, Indiana
Westfield, Indiana, USA
USDA Zone 5
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/index.html

Martin Bohnet

Jim, I dare to say pegasus is referring to Kniphofia multiflora
Height: 150-200 cm (4.9-6.6 ft)
Flower Colors: orange, yellow, white
Flower Season: late summer
Climate: summer rain climate
in particular, not seeds in general - for the latter one I'd suggest using the official seed exchange.

That said: I guess Kniphofia seeds are rather short lived - I often had trouble getting them to germinate from internet sources. I was successful with Kniphofia sarmentosa
Height: 60-90 cm (2-3 ft)
Flower Colors: red, orange
Flower Season: mid winter to mid spring
Climate: winter rain climate
, Kniphofia northiae
Height: 120-170 cm (3.9-5.6 ft)
Flower Colors: orange, yellow
Flower Season: early summer to mid summer
Life form:  rhizome
and Kniphofia typhoides
Height: 80-100 cm (2.6-3.3 ft)
Flower Colors: brown
Flower Season: late summer to early autumn
, but I've tried many  more. As those are very different types I think the process was not the problem, so I'd put my money on the seed quality.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

CG100

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on November 20, 2022, 07:07:45 AMI guess Kniphofia seeds are rather short lived

How much any generalisation applies, I have no idea, but I have had wild-collected Kniphofia seed, ex Silverhill, germinate after at least two years in a pot, outdoors. I can't remember the sp., but it was rare in habitat (now long gone here).

K. ritualis??

MLoos

Hi Jim,

I do have a question for you regarding Hippeastrum cybister.  Is there a way I can contact you off forum?

Michael Loos
Interlaken, NY