Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Bohnet

new month, new flowers...

First flower in the bog is Helonias bullata
Height: 10-30 cm (0.3-1 ft)
Flower Colors: pink
Flower Season: mid spring
Life form: evergreen rhizome
, which shoots its flowers higher day by day. Until recently I'd stated the bog is mostly care free besides the slugs, now I'm suffering from Blackbirds who found out how nice my sphagnum is in their nests. I'm thinking about chaining my cat to the bog....no, I'm not, but it could help with those blackbirds...

I've checked the image in the wiki and I guess I'll add this one for Bongardia chrysogonum
. They may be not spectacular, but they are much nicer hen shown there. Staying in the color scheme, there's Moraea marlothii
- nice closeup plant, in he total you'd see a 1 m long stick with a single and comparably tiny yellow flower on top. For a total, take tree peony Shima Daijin (not a Geophyte, but a wiki-plant) - happy it's not as hot as it has been in May in the last years, so it (yes, single plant) will look nice for more than 3 days - i hope.

Orchids seem to have entered the pink phase: there's my native Orchis mascula
Height: 45-60 cm (1.5-2 ft)
Flower Colors: pink, purple
Flower Season: late spring to early summer
Life form:  tuber
and, from the other side of the world (ancestor wise) Thelymitra 'Ron Heberle', which is a German hybrid of T. nuda and T. variegata by Beyrle. OK, Pink-blue-spottet-goldrimmed phase in that case. The fact that it's open should tell you that it was warm and sunny today - still nothing compared to earlier years, where we scraped 30°C  in the beginning of May.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on May 02, 2023, 02:25:48 PMBlagbirds who found out how nice my sphagnum is in their nests.

blag in British English
(blæɡ ) slang. noun. 1. a robbery, esp with violence.

Arnold

Ledebouria sp. Huntsdrift
Arnold T.
North East USA

Carlos

Eucrosia bicolor

20230506_201039.jpg

Allium cyrilli

20230506_201714.jpg

'Southern Allium ampeloprasum', which is a tetraploid, smaller that was typified as Allium ampeloprasum L., a hexaploid up to 1,8p m tall, and sterile

20230506_200018.jpg
20230506_200847.jpg

Allium commutatum, a coastal species which lacks a 'ball-like' developing inflorescence.

20230506_200443.jpg

What I finally identified as Allium polyanthum, possibly a diploid, also from near the sea, with ball-like young inflorescences but only the size of s finger tip.

20230506_200546.jpg

Aglione di Valdichiana, an heirloom cultivar from Tuscany which is a leek, but forms big cloves like garlic, and that's the part used. First year to bloom, but it seems a bit intermediate between commutatum and 'southern ampeloprasum'. 

20230506_200645.jpg
Carlos
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Carlos

Allium melananthum, Cartagena, Spain

20230503_185230.jpg

Allium acutiflorum, Monaco

20230503_183259.jpg
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

MarkMazer

NoMowMay... Naturalized Nymph in lawn.... [color=rgb(var(--color-foreground))]Herbertia lahue ssp. lahue?[/color]

Arnold

Paeonia emodi
Arnold T.
North East USA

Uli

Cypella aquatilis took several years to settle and grow from an offset and is flowering abundantly for the first time. Thank you, @Martin Bohnet for this beautiful plant!

Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Carlos

I was puzzled to find many small Alliums growing on loose calcareous pebbles on the highest peak of Mallorca island. I also ran out of water, lost my cap, ruined my shoes, nearly had a 20 kg loose stone to crush my leg,  got entangled in the local subspecies of Smilax aspera, got mauled by another friendly bush, Calicotome spinosa, and got several blisters and a black toenail for six months. But it was great.

Back to the Allium, they were developing their first leaf after the first rains of September and I took five just to see what they were.

One is in bloom now and though it should be roseum, those unequal, pointed teoals and wide leaves are odd. 

20230515_192132.jpg
20230515_192206.jpg

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Arnold

Paeonia Bertzella

An Itoh intersectional hybrid.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Uli

This unusual flower came as a surprise. I had already stopped watering the pots with winter flowering bulbs but suddenly three brown spikes popped up in one of the pots. They soon opened. With late abundant rain the pots got watered again and I observed flies being attracted to the flowers. There is a smell reminding of cow manure but not overwhelmingly bad. I will observe for seed, the flowers are short lived. The two pictures were taken 4 days apart.
Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Uli on May 23, 2023, 12:35:27 AMThis unusual flower came as a surprise. I had already stopped watering the pots with winter flowering bulbs but suddenly three brown spikes popped up in one of the pots. They soon opened. With late abundant rain the pots got watered again and I observed flies being attracted to the flowers. There is a smell reminding of cow manure but not overwhelmingly bad. I will observe for seed, the flowers are short lived. The two pictures were taken 4 days apart.
Uli

I really enjoy the Arums that do that!

Carlos

Hi, very nice! I have one arundanum about to flower, and fruits in another one I was sent from near Seville.

I begin to think that those who claim that arundanum is a subspecirs of tenuifolium are right.

Carlos
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Steve Willson

Two pretty lilies flowering for me in the PNW: [i]Lilium apertum[/i] and [i]Lilium mackliniae[/i].  Both are quite hardy and persistent here provided they get good drainage.
Lilium apertum.jpgMackliniae2.jpg 

Steve Willson

Lilium dauricum
 and Itoh hybrid peony 'Cora Louise'
Dauricum1.jpg Peony Cora Louise.jpg