March 2024

Started by Wylie, March 01, 2024, 10:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Bohnet

I am so tired about this Scilla discussion. Kew's PoWo and Inaturalist conserve Scilla peruviana. Besides my usual complaint (there's a valid double m Oncostemma in Asclepioideae) i'm just done with authors finding the needed number of peer reviewers in their faction to overwrite this or that, being far from any system wide consent. For now, Kew's the authority most people accept. and they're keeping Scilla peruviana as of now.

But there are lighter topics. Light sky blue like Corydalis fumariifolia
which hasn't been as impressed by early warm temperatures as many other species. It's not tuberous cousin Corydalis heterocarpa was first a bit shy in the garden, now it seeds around a lot (ants, as always with corydalis), finding places more suitable then where I planted it first.
Third one is Fritillaria reuteri
, shining bright in the sun. Another sun lover, though in a container is Anacamptis papilionacea
Height: 30-45 cm (1-1.5 ft)
Flower Colors: pink, purple
Flower Season: mid spring
, subspecies messenica if my records are right. Next one is the opposite of a sun lover: Asarum caudatum
hides in the shadows, despite being a flower giant compared to my local Asarum europaeum
Speaking about hiding: last one is my resurfaced Iris bucharica - years ago, the clump was suffocated by my huge tree peonie. I transplanted, but there seemed to be no survivors - until this one opened up a few days ago.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Too Many Plants!

Here's one of my nicer red Sparaxis Tricolor.

IMG_3980.jpg IMG_3978.jpg

Too Many Plants!

And my Ferraria Crispa ssp. Nortieri ⭐️🐠 flowers starting to go off 💥...with a little yellow friend hanging out with them.

IMG_3991.jpg IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

Wylie

Babianas do very well in the Azores. I had bought a pack of bulbs years ago, so I don't know which ones these are. They have been allowed to mix, drop seed, and grow.

One of the first Moraea bulbs I got was Moraea ochroleuca. They settle into the ground very well.

There is also the white version of Scilla peruviana.

Diane Whitehead

This is the third year that Leucocoryne macropetala has flowered. 
I bought seeds from John Watson and Anita Flores in 2003.

I sent some of the seeds to Sheila Burrow in Perth, Australia. 
I wonder if hers have flowered.           

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

David Pilling

@Diane Whitehead

There is a copyright Sheila Burrow photo of this species:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/146789269088182672/

that I found on Google.

Diane Whitehead

Same genus, but a different species

Sheila also put her photo on our wiki.

The other 6 species of Leucocoryne  I bought from F & W have not bloomed yet - lots of leaves, though.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

David Pilling

Too Many Plants!

To close out March...here's a pic from a few days ago. I missed the full flowering (if it did), I think this guy was affected by the unusual amount and frequency of rain we've been getting this season.

G. Radians. 

This plant has taken many years in the ground from a planted bulb to develop into much to see. 

Carlos

Muscari atlanticum, Eastern Spain. POWO accepts it!

20240330_154010.jpg20240330_175404.jpg20240330_175616.jpg
20240330_175640.jpg20240330_182835.jpg20240330_182904.jpg

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Rdevries

Cyrtanthus falcatus x Cyrt. herrei
A bulb i received from Roy Herald in 2018 he grew from seed Ken Blackford donated in BX239.  

Is it a cross? 
https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/CyrtanthusSpeciesTwo#falcatus

Tends to grow in warm weather A d can have the strange colored flowers and typical crooks neck. 

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/CyrtanthusSpeciesTwo#herrei

Tends to grow in cool weather. 

When it was smaller it remained evergreen bit this winter it went dormant a d now a flower! 
Latitude: +36.99028 (36°59'25.008"N)
Insolation: 5.85 to 1.64 kWh/m2/day

Carlos

Some 'cormous' or 'pseudobulbous' plants seen in the wild yesterday

Biarum dispar
20240331_190649.jpg

Himantoglossum robertianum 

20240331_190156.jpg

Orchis olbiensis (mascula subsp. olbiensis for some)

20240331_190127.jpg

And March is over.
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Arnold

Leucocoryne sp.
Ledebouria galpinii
Arnold T.
North East USA