Importing Hippeastrum to Mexico advice

J.E. Shields
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:31:17 PDT

I only know how it works here in the U.S.A.    If the parcels come by the 
postal service, they are handed back to the USPS by the Customs inspectors 
and go on their merry way to me.  If they come by airfrieght, I have to use 
a customs brokerage firm to see them through customs and inspections, and 
then to forward them on to me.

You might look for a respectable customs broker who operates at the Mexican 
port of entry  through which you expect plants or bulbs to be shipped to 
you.  Airfreight shipment and customs brokers are the best way to handle 
large batches of bulbs or plants, but they are definitely more expensive 
than air parcel post.

I've no idea what you'll run into in Mexico, but I suspect you need to find 
someone there who already knows the ropes.  This says "Customs Broker" to 
me; and trying to do things on the cheap sounds like a recipe for disaster, 

But, as I said, I know nothing about how things work in Mexico!

Jim Shields
in central Indiana (USA)

At 03:38 PM 8/26/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>Thank you.
>So once you have all the paperwork, will the authorities contact you on
>arrival of the package?  Do you then go to the port and show the necesary
>paperwork for collection?
>Kind regards

Jim Shields             USDA Zone 5             Shields Gardens, Ltd.
P.O. Box 92              WWW:
Westfield, Indiana 46074, USA
Tel. ++1-317-867-3344     or      toll-free 1-866-449-3344 in USA

More information about the pbs mailing list