Poison bait, was Fritallarias in bloom

Stephen Putman putman@pobox.upenn.edu
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:14:39 PST
No responsible person uses poisoned bait.  The secondary impacts are 
often far greater than the impact on the pest population.  In addition 
to pets, and possible mammalian predators, avian predators are also at 
high risk of catching and eating a dying rodent, and in turn are 
poisoned and die.

Steve Putman

Susan Hayek wrote:
> At 3:54 PM -0500 3/4/05, JFlintoff@aol.com wrote:
>>    Using poisons is a double edged sword since other animals can eat 
>> the poisoned animal and die from it; the warfarin-containing ones are 
>> especially dangerous to pets and other wildlike.
>> Jerry John Flintoff
> **Thank you.
> I had an acquaintance lose his much loved Borzoi to a gopher who carried 
> poison bait from a neighbor an acre and a half away.
> It wasn't that the gopher ate the bait and travelled before he died.
> A gopher can find the bait, fill up it's cheeks and carry the bait 
> homeward. If the dog or the cat catches the gopher, cheeks stuffed, even 
> a large dog is dead, and it's not an easy death.
> We have 3 1/4 acres. My dogs catch and eat gophers.  Lots of them.
> We pray that neighbors nearby don't set out poison. We certainly don't.

More information about the pbs mailing list