(no subject)

Boyce Tankersley btankers@chicagobotanic.org
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:59:53 PST
Hi Lee:

In the past, the inspectors have inspected the plant where it resided in
our nursery/greenhouses. I am guessing that this information provided
some insight to what, if any, pests and or diseases the plant may have
been exposed to. It has been a couple of years since we've gotten a
phytosanitary certificate for export so the rules may have changed.

At one time, a botanic garden overseas requested we re-export our tulips
after they were pulled out of the seasonal displays. At that time,
tulips were either unattainable or very expensive from Holland in that
country. When we approached the USDA inspectors we learned they needed
to inspect the tulips throughout the growing season (in a field in
Chicago) before they would certify them clean of pests/diseases. This
was more than we could afford to do - even to help out another botanic
garden. Within the last five years I understand Tulip availability is no
longer a concern in that country.

Boyce Tankersley
Director of Living Plant Documentation
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road
Glencoe, IL 60022
Tel: 847-835-6841
Fax: 847-835-1635

-----Original Message-----
From: pbs-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:pbs-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lee Poulsen
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:45 PM
To: Pacific Bulb Society
Subject: Re: [pbs] (no subject)

I've never exported plants/bulbs in my luggage when leaving the U.S., 
so I was wondering if it's possible to schedule a phytosanitary 
inspection at the major U.S. international airports (like LAX, Miami, 
New York, etc.) prior to departure, similar to how it can be done at 
the Tokyo, Japan or (I understand) the Johannesburg, South Africa 
airports? Does anyone know about this?

--Lee Poulsen
Pasadena, California, USDA Zone 10a

On Feb 20, 2007, at 6:16 AM, J.E. Shields wrote:

> Hi Verena,
> There are no limitations on carrying legal plants (i.e., no drugs, 
> etc.)
> out of the USA.
> However, you must check with German authorities on what they require 
> for
> you to bring plants or bulbs into Germany.
> They will probably insist that your plants and bulbs be accompanied by

> an
> official Phytosanitary Certificate, issued by the country of origin of

> the
> plants you are going to import into Germany.  In this case, that would

> be
> the USA and the issuing agency would be the local agents of the USDA, 
> at
> the place where you obtain the bulbs.
> This could get to be a little complicated, depending on where you 
> obtain
> the bulbs in the course of your travels.

pbs mailing list

More information about the pbs mailing list