(no subject)

Lee Poulsen wpoulsen@pacbell.net
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:45:25 PST
I've never exported plants/bulbs in my luggage when leaving the U.S., 
so I was wondering if it's possible to schedule a phytosanitary 
inspection at the major U.S. international airports (like LAX, Miami, 
New York, etc.) prior to departure, similar to how it can be done at 
the Tokyo, Japan or (I understand) the Johannesburg, South Africa 
airports? Does anyone know about this?

--Lee Poulsen
Pasadena, California, USDA Zone 10a

On Feb 20, 2007, at 6:16 AM, J.E. Shields wrote:

> Hi Verena,
> There are no limitations on carrying legal plants (i.e., no drugs, 
> etc.)
> out of the USA.
> However, you must check with German authorities on what they require 
> for
> you to bring plants or bulbs into Germany.
> They will probably insist that your plants and bulbs be accompanied by 
> an
> official Phytosanitary Certificate, issued by the country of origin of 
> the
> plants you are going to import into Germany.  In this case, that would 
> be
> the USA and the issuing agency would be the local agents of the USDA, 
> at
> the place where you obtain the bulbs.
> This could get to be a little complicated, depending on where you 
> obtain
> the bulbs in the course of your travels.

More information about the pbs mailing list