Peter Taggart
Sun, 20 May 2012 04:29:39 PDT
'Crocking' is when stones, gravel or pieces of broken pots are placed over
the the drainage holes in the bottom of pots to prevent the compost falling
out. I try to fit crocks neatly for stoloniferous plants to prevent them
escaping from the pot. (However I use a lot of porous clay pots which are
not nesescarily suitable for all conditions).
 Contrary to popular opinion crocking may interupt drainage if there is no
route through the crocks for water. - see my last post. An alternative to
crocks, which may also stop worms and some other creatures entering the
pots, is to use  a piece of fine mesh such as sold for wind protection by
garden centres.
Peter (UK)

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Shoal Creek Succulents <> wrote:

> Thanks Peter. This was helpful.   What is 'crocking'?  I don't understand
> that term.
> <>

More information about the pbs mailing list