A question about names

arnold140@verizon.net arnold140@verizon.net
Mon, 03 Sep 2012 15:11:56 PDT

We've had this discussion either here or on another forum.

You're right.

Bulbils are in leaf axils and bulblets are usually attached to a larger bulb below ground.


On 09/03/12, David Ehrlich wrote:

I have been using the word bulbil to refer to the above ground 
bulb-like/corm-like propagules which develop in the leaf axils of mature 
plants. I use bulblet and cormel to refer to the subterranean offsets produced 
by bulbs and corms respectively. I don't know whether this is correct usage, or 
even whether it matters a great deal. What do other members of the group think?

Thank you, 
David E.

More information about the pbs mailing list