May 2024

Started by Too Many Plants!, May 05, 2024, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Many Plants!

Cali native - Dichelostemma ida-Maia X multiforum ( Pink Diamond ).

Said to be a naturally occurring hybrid of Red Firecracker X Blue Brodiaea.

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Too Many Plants! on May 09, 2024, 08:52:50 PMVery nice. Loving that Tritonia squalida !
Windows! To go along with some of the Arisaemas.

Robert
in pleasant cool San Francisco, where the very last of the summer bulbs are about to get potted up.

Too Many Plants!

Quote from: Robert_Parks on May 09, 2024, 09:07:36 PM
Quote from: Too Many Plants! on May 09, 2024, 08:52:50 PMVery nice. Loving that Tritonia squalida !
Windows! To go along with some of the Arisaemas.

Robert
in pleasant cool San Francisco, where the very last of the summer bulbs are about to get potted up.

I'm excited to have seed coming of a few Tritonia! - deusta subsp. deusta, securigera subsp. securigera, gladiolaris, florentiae, laxifolia, pallida subsp. pallida, and squalida!

Carlos

Muscari cazorlanum, a narrow endemic from the Cazorla range in NE Andalusia

Taken by a colleague, please ask me if anyone wants to use them.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-09 at 22.24.48.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-09 at 22.24.48 (1).jpg
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Randy Linke

Calochortus luteus blooming today in Armilla, Spain.

Carlos

Nice, Randy!!

I showed you a couple of seedlings and now that they lost their single leaf I looked at the bulbs... They are Colchicum, and I'm not at all sure of which one they can be (luckily there's only three options).

And my C. obispoensis turned out to be a Narcissus, so after 2 years I don't have any Calochortus after all. 

I admit it, they are maybe too difficult from seed for me.

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Randy Linke

Carlos,

I had really good germination this year, and more to plant next year.  Once they have a couple of year's growth and I repot I will send you some.  

Arnold

Ledebouria ovalifolia
Ledebouria 'Huntsdrift'
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

@Carlos: what a beautiful color palette on that muscari! love it!

OK, I've been lazy with the may postings so there's something from the backlogs...

1st one is Anemonoides soyensis, which is only a fraction of A. nemorosa in size, as the euro coin provesTiming may be off as I planted it only this year. Also from the first days of the month: Tulbaghia simmleri
, and a comparison of Anacamptis morio
Height: 20-45 cm (0.7-1.5 ft)
Flower Colors: pink, purple, white
Flower Season: mid spring to late spring
(front) and Orchis mascula
Height: 45-60 cm (1.5-2 ft)
Flower Colors: pink, purple
Flower Season: late spring to early summer
Life form:  tuber
(background).

Next ones, second week of May are Libertia grandiflora
and the proof that Camassia leichtlinii
is a truely beautiful weed, pops up everywhere.

More up to date: Moraea simulans
and Gladiolus anatolicus
Height: 20-30 cm (0.7-1 ft)
Flower Colors: pink
Flower Season: mid spring
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Carlos

Hi, Randy, I wasn't suggesting that you sent any bulbs... but please do haha

Thanks, Martin, s I said I did not take the photo. I have discovered that Iberian Muscari can be as attractive as Eastern ones.

Moving to Peru, here is Caliphruria  (now Stenomesson, according to Alan Meerow et al.) korsakoffii, again thanks to Rimmer de Vries.

20240513_145612.jpg20240513_145555.jpg
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Rdevries

Some small white Stenomesson from Peru blooming now.

Caliphriria (Stenomesson) korsakofii 3-6" tall with pure white flowers and pollen

Pucara (Stenomesson) leucanthum 12-14" tall
With white flowers, yellow pollen and an internal cup like a daffodil.

I hope they make nice babies.
Latitude: +36.99028 (36°59'25.008"N)
Insolation: 5.85 to 1.64 kWh/m2/day

Wylie

The seeds of Cypella herbertii easily germinate when the seeds fall into a pot.

Arnold

Merwilla plumbea
Zephranthes drummondii
Arnold T.
North East USA

Carlos

Hi, Rimmer, I am surprised by the staminal cup in Stenomesson leucanthum. If I'm not mistaken, the biggest expert in South American Amaryllidaceae, Alan Meerow, was the one to transfer it from Pucara to Stenomesson. But he also changed Clinanthus milagroanthus, also with a cup, to Paramongaia milagroantha, so maybe further studies should be carried out.

In the meantime, I look forward for seeds.

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Too Many Plants!

I know these Amaryllis are common now- seasonally available at HD, Lowe's, and many nurseries, but thought I'd share this one. I've picked up mainly all red ones along the way when I find the bulbs on clearance, and have planted them in various spots in my South African-ish themed hot and sunny garden. Even my red and white one that gets full afternoon shade never seems to look good- flowers are hammered in short order. But this year for the first time this red ones flowers are looking nice for many days in full sun, seeing upper 70's and low 80's! Quite pleased to see these are possible to get looking good in the ground in my garden. I should note the snails LOVE the flower stems and often eat them 'til the flower buds practically fall off...