Bulb import permits

penstemon penstemon@Q.com
Mon, 07 Mar 2016 19:04:13 PST

>Yes packages with phytos in the box or in plastic may make it through undetected but to be legal they are supposed to be routed to an inspection station.   If seeds from Europe require either a small lots permit (with inspection ) or a general permit with phyto and inspection I don't see how plants and bulbs would require less.
Bulbs, seeds, and plants. Three different things.
For dormant bulbs, a phytosanitary certificate from the exporter is all that is required. This is inspected by customs.
If the bulbs are listed under CITES Appendix II, then the exporter needs to provide a CITES certificate as well. 
For seeds, an import permit (small lots of seed, PPQ587), an attached list of species and country of origin, and the green-and-yellow label is required. 
For plants, an import permit is required ...a permit which has spaces in which you fill out the purpose of cultivating the plants, and attach a photograph of the area in which the plants will be cultivated, as well as many other things. 
Bob Nold
Denver, Colorado, USA
p.s. Here http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/paridevita/… is a picture of a box, with a phytosanitary certificate attached. It has been inspected by customs. 
(It was in my garage.)

More information about the pbs mailing list