Lumping of Hippeastrum and Zephyranthes

Started by Lee Poulsen, March 01, 2024, 12:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Poulsen

I turned a lot of the lumping in the 2019 paper "Generic classification of Amaryllidaceae tribe Hippeastreae" by García et al. into a cladogram so you can see what they propose based on DNA sequencing. It's actually for the tribe Hippeastreae which has the subtribes of Traubiinae and Hippeastrinae (which is where all the lumping happened, into just the Hippeastrum genus and the Zephyranthes genus). To me the most important classification in the "new" Zephyranthes genus are the subgenera--where all the information about how the Zephyranthes species are grouped is contained (and are closely related to all the old genera that these species used to belong to). I put the subgenus names in brackets. I didn't put in all the species in the Zephyranthes subgenus or the Hippeastrum subgenus because they aren't listed in the paper--and there are about 100 Hippeastrum species in the Hippeastrum subgenus and also about 100 species in the Zephyranthes subgenus. So I just put 'xxx' and 'yyy' to indicate the hundreds of different species. The paper said that there needs to be detailed DNA analysis of those two subgenera as well as the genus Phycella into which the Placea genus was subsumed to figure out how they are all interrelated or subgrouped. Finally, down at the subgenus level, I just stuck all the species in the same final set of branches because the paper didn't really show how they branched or grouped down at the final level. Hippeastreae_tribe.pdf

Hippeastreae_tribe.jpg
Pasadena, California, USA - USDA Zone 10a
Latitude 34°N, Altitude 1150 ft/350 m